Wednesday 19 November 2014

Dib Dab...Save Yourself Some Cash

Hey guys, I've gone slightly off track. 

I wanted to cover more money saving craft ideas, than I have been.

So wanted to rectify that.

I don't think I'm the only person to have thought of this, so cannot claim it as an original idea, but thought it would be worth sharing for those who didn't know about it.
before my craft sabbatical, a couple of years ago. I bought an Anti-Static bag...thingy. I had purchased it under the influence of Create and Craft. They showed a demonstration, showing how this little bag of dust could help you achieve a cleaner, sharper image, and how by rubbing your card with it first, it would prevent embossing powder from sticking to anything you didn't want it to.

So I tootled off to my local craft shop and bought one, again this thing cost me around the £5 mark.

And again, this time around, post sabbatical, I wanted to get a new one. But as with the inking tool from a previous post, I didn't want to have to pay out for something that could be made.

My solution was to cut the foot off from an old pair of tights (pantihose, if you're in the US)

I filled it with fine talc, and tied up the end with an elastic band.

This gave me exactly what I wanted.


Step by step Details of how to make your own Anti-Static Bag

You will need...

Some fine grade Talc and an old pair of tights (clean, of course)



Cut off the foot from your clean pair of tights

Like so...




Fill the foot with Talc



and gather the top edge, to close it



Use an elastic band to tie the foot closed, as tight as you can, without it snapping.





And voila, one, Anti Static Bag



Once you've made it, you can then use it to help you achieve tidier stamping and heat embossing

I used Dovecraft and Kanban products to test this cheaper alternative out



 Picture without using the bag, you can see if you look closely, to the right of the image, that there were stray bits of embossing powder, this makes work look untidy.




This image was stamped after using the bag. I got a nice clean image, with no stray embossing powders.



I saved myself some money, with it costing me-technically-nothing to make, as I already had in the old pair of tights and the talc.

This is where I write the usual...

Instagram at #lindsiloolabell.79

Youtube Lindsiloolabell's craft channel

Google+ lindsiloolabell79

and Pinterest Lyndsey Anne Russell

Happy Crafting

XOXO





No comments:

Post a Comment